Payment in full is due at time of reservation. We accept checks, and credit cards through PayPal.
Cancellations: (% applies to entire service period total)
- 0-48 hours prior to any non-holiday service, and 14 days prior to holidays: No refund.
- 2-7 days prior to service excluding holidays: 20% of service total is due (equals an 80% refund).
- 8 days prior to service or more: No charge, refund in full.
If you return from your trip early there is no charge unless you don’t call the office and notify us before the pet sitter arrives to provide service that day.
The following holidays and holiday seasons have an associated surcharge: Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.
We normally keep your house keys until after your return unless otherwise instructed. If you are unexpectedly delayed in returning home, we can continue to care for your pets. We can also keep your key on file for future visits. All keys are anonymously coded and kept in a locked safe. We also have secure lockboxes available to use for a refundable $30 deposit.
We ask that 2 copies of the keys be provided to us for dog walking clients. If you have regular door keys, we will be more than happy to create this 2nd copy for you at no charge.
For mid-day dog walking, our normal hours are 11:30am to 1:30pm. We can try to accommodate specific times, but ask that some leeway be given because some visits take longer than expected, especially in any case of emergency.
For once-a-day pet visits, we space the visit time approximately 24 hours apart.
For twice-a-day pet visits, we space the AM and PM visits 8 to 9 hours apart. Morning visits are usually done between 6am and 10am, and evening visits done between 4pm and 8pm. If a pet needs medication at a specific time, please notify us so that we can accommodate that need.
For overnights, the typical times are from 6pm to 6am, unless otherwise arranged.
ADEQUATE FOOD SUPPLIES
We ask that you have enough food on hand for your pets to eat during your absence. If you miscalculate and run out of food, a shopping charge of twenty dollars ($20.00) will be added to your bill if we have to purchase food. This is in addition to the actual cost of the food and/or supplies.
Many people like to include neighbors, relatives and friends in the pet sitting duties. These well-intentioned actions can cause much confusion during a sitting assignment. Common problems reported include overfeeding, unlocked doors, lost keys, or missing some feedings altogether. Malibu Pet Care absolutely cannot be responsible for any sitting assignment where others are going to share the workload. It is our experience that making one person responsible for the entire pet sitting assignment creates the more reliable results.
We offer private dog walks for the safety and happiness of the dogs in our care. This means we will only walk multiple dogs together if they are all from the same household. We do not allow people or other dogs to approach dogs in our care. We always walk dogs on leash, all the time, no exceptions. We always pick up waste and dispose of it in a sanitary manner in an outside trash bin. We will also make sure water bowls are topped off with fresh water before we leave.
Pet visits are usually between 30-60 minutes. Unless otherwise instructed, we will pick up mail, newspapers, rotate lights on/off, and close and open random blinds. We do not open the door to anyone: if someone comes by and insists that they be let in, we will call the police. So PLEASE let us know if you will be expecting anyone to drop by. We will clean up any pet waste in the yard, scoop the litter box (and change the litter every 7 days unless otherwise instructed), empty trash and refresh water on every visit.
DESTRUCTION BY PETS
As a rule, damage to property, furniture and carpets is done by pets who get lonely and bored. Often owners don’t know in advance what will provoke their pets to such action. We make all attempts to limit any destruction by pets of household goods. If, for example, you wish your pet kept indoors and the pet chews on furniture, we will attempt to remove the attraction. If the problem continues we will not empty your pet’s entire area of attractive nuisances! We cannot, therefore, be responsible for damage done by your pets to your home. However, we always use common sense, and attempt to limit and restrict bad behavior.
EARTHQUAKE / FIRE PROCEDURE
In the event that a catastrophic earthquake or fire evacuation should occur during your absence while we are in charge of your pets, we will, if at all humanly possible do the following:
- We will check your home, make certain your pets are safe at your residence, and note any damage. If the pets are not safe there…
- We will take your pets to a home that is still safe and secure. If a home is not available, we will attempt to find a kennel.
- After our initial check, we will call you at your travel location.
- We will tell you on the telephone any available information about your pets and your property. If your pets are not in your home, we will inform you of their exact whereabouts.
- Be prepared, as soon as you hear from us, to tell us on what date you can possibly return, and when you can retrieve your pets.
- Your pets cannot be transported long distances to relatives or friends because many roads may be impassable. We will keep your pets as close to your neighborhood as possible.
- If you somehow manage to get home before we can contact you, please call us immediately and let us know so that we can be assured of your pets safety.
- Give your pets a “head start”: right now, stock up at least three extra days of food and some bottled water so these items will be available where they are needed… at your own home!
We do not knowingly accept sitting assignments with contagiously sick or acutely ill pets. We firmly believe that sick pets belong under the constant care of a veterinarian. However, if you have aged, infirmed, or medicated pets, this is not a problem if you discuss the special needs of the pet with us. We never take any chances with sickness. Any pet showing signs of illness is taken immediately to your vet, or if unavailable at the time, our veterinarian for treatment.